Code of Conduct
Recreational Paddling ProgramKihei Canoe Club is
probably the only outrigger canoe racing club in Hawaii with a significant
percentage of members interested primarily in recreational paddling. Most clubs
focus on seasonal racing. KCC's recreational paddling program welcomes, trains
and supports any Maui full to part time resident, even those who have never put
a paddle in the water. KCC provides scheduled recreational paddling six days a
week, twelve months a year. Participants include adult men and women of all
ages and physical condition. Each participant must be able to swim, be capable
of engaging in moderate exercise and be able to get in and out of the canoe
without assistance. Recreational paddling is a low-impact aerobic exercise.
Paddlers are taught that each person controls the amount of effort applied and
can therefore pace themselves according to individual needs and
Kihei Canoe Club members may participate in
- Scheduled recreational paddling on Monday, Wednesday,
Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Please be at the club between 6:30am - 6:45am.
Canoes depart the beach at 7:00am and return between 8:00am - 8:30am, depending
on conditions and crew mix. Typical recreational paddles will be 3 to 8 miles
- Wednesday recreational paddles offer optional training on
a variety of topics.
- Friday recreational paddles usually are a longer distance
- typically from the club to Maalaea harbor or Cove Park.
- Sunday paddles are casual and often have snorkeling at
some of the reefs and wrecks near the club.
- Longer paddling events, usually combined with snorkeling,
are scheduled monthly depending on other events. Check the club
Calendar and News for dates and times.
- Sunset / Full Moon paddles are scheduled to coinside with
Akua moon phase. They typically occur about 45 minutes
before sunset with a return to the club under the moon about 30 minutes later.
- In addition to the above days, recreational paddles with
members and guests/visitors are held on Tuesday and Thursday. Plan to be
at the club at 7:30am and return around 9:00am. See the Visitors link for more information on these days.
- Periodically, KCC has other types of recreational
paddling events. These are announced to club members and usually combine
paddling with other activites or educational opportunites. Check the club
News for dates and times.